The system is completely voluntary and allows for specific messages to be sent to your email address and/or cell phone during an event. Keeping people informed about the potential dangers near their home, place of work, children’s schools or loved ones can allow for more adequate response time during emergency.
Notifications of emergencies, disasters or hazardous situations that would require immediate action will use email and/or text messaging to the devices registered online. Due to the type of messages that will be sent through the system, they are likely to be infrequent and will only be used as needed.
The messages will be limited to:
• Imminent or perceived threats to life or property
• Disaster notifications
• Evacuation notices
• Public Health emergencies
• Public Safety emergencies
• Chemical spills impacting public health
• Outdoor warning siren activation (will not include other weather watches, warnings, or advisories)
• Active shooter situations causing an evacuation or Shelter-In-Place orders
• Significant road closures such as a high-way closure not lane closures or daily traffic incidents
• Closure or interruption in service of county operations
• Additional notifications affecting the health and safety of the county
To learn more about the OakAlert system, including the registration page, go to www.oakgov.com/homelandsecurity